July 7, 2010

Cal-a-forn-i-a!

This June was vacation time! I love vacations. They are just the best. They are even better when they land on my birthday. This is the 3rd year I have spent my birthday in Cali. I'm thinking this is a tradition I must continue. This year I went with my Brother Craig and his family and my Mom. We left on June 11 and got back home on the 20. Yes that is correct. 10 fun filled days with my Family. It's a wonder I am still alive to write this blog! As my Bro and I had predicted we were going to kill each other by the 3rd day :)
We started off by heading to Fresno. But to get there we had to go through Yosemite Nat. Park. Which was BEAUTIFUL! Except for the extremely curvy road. So glad no one in my fam gets car sick. Here are some pics of this awesome place.

We made it to Fresno by Saturday. We rested that night and Sunday (my Birthday) we headed to Sequoia Nat. Park. It was a great drive there. Past all the vineyards and fruit-stands. We made it up to the park, and can I just say...HOLY COW!!! These trees are freakin huge! It was pretty funny how entertained we were by the trees. But freak they were so huge how could you not be in total awe of these things?!  Please ignore my poor photo editing skills. It was supposed to look like one pic, but....it look like it was taken at different times of the day :)
My Brother is 6'2. That give you an idea as to how crazy big these trees are! The biggest one was The General Sherman. Its the one in the far right top corner. It stands nearly 275 feet and is a whopping 36 1/2  feet wide!!!  And its over 2,000 yrs old. You can't see it in these pics but it even has a burn scar from a forest fire. Apparently Sequoias bark is almost fire resistant. Crazy huh?
In the pics below you can see how massive the root system is of one of these trees. This tree had fallen and as you can see, goes one forever! They even cut out a portion of it so you could walk right through it. Did you know they have a very shallow roots? But they survive for a long time because their roots intertwine, holding each other up. It's true.
Craig was just barely able to walk through
the tree w/out hitting his head

My poor mom....she's so short
                                  
 Well I think that will do for now. Can you believe you've only read about the first 3 days?! I know its insane. But there are more pics to come of our family adventure.

No comments: