January 26, 2010

Back in My day.......

     It's sad when you've reached the point in your life when you start saying "back in my day..." But I'll admit, it's kind of fun to say it :) It is however sad when it references something that is no longer there.
     Example: Winter in Idaho. Back in my day it started the first week of October and went clear to April. Halloween meant dragging out the snow boots and planning your costume around your winter coat. I remember one year I was a princess in a blue dress...wrapped in a purple coat. With pink snow boots as my "glass slipper" of choice. Now kids are lucky to see a frost before thanksgiving. We on the other hand used to hope and pray that we DIDN'T have snow during Easter. Who wants’ to find Easter eggs in a 4 feet of snow? Crazy people that's who!
    Back in My day Lewisville was the choice place to go sledding on the road. Yes that is what I said: the road. Hitch up an inner tube to the back of a truck or a four wheeler and away we go! Lewisville was notorious for never really plowing the roads, so ice and snow would build up till the roads were, "slicker than snot" that is a classic saying that is just not used enough. :) Now however the roads are bare. There are no kids sledding up and down the back streets of Lewisville. That is all we ever did as kids during the dead of winter I swear!
    Back in My day snow drifts lined the roads so high you could actually sled on them. The best ones were always by the church (the only place they did plow the snow). Forts were built all around town, and a good snow ball fight always ensued after Mutual. I recall one time I gave Mary Ellsworth a white wash after one such mutual. No worries she was only my leader! Someone helped me, but I can't recall who at the moment.
    Now as I return back to Idaho to visit, I'm a little sad at what I see. The shots below were taken during Christmas. I remember when the trampoline had huge ice scikles hanging all over it! The only dry spot was under the tramp, while 3 feet of snow rested on the top. I used to love jumping right in the middle of it right after a snow fall. Now my Niece & Nephew jump on it in the middle of December with not so much as a wet spot on their cloths. How sad. The other picture is a look out our front door. I mean we barely had a dusting of snow for Christmas!!!

    Crazy how the weather changes as the years go by. I used to hate the snow...ok I won't lie, I STILL hate the snow. But what is winter in Idaho without it???? It's brown! That's what it is. A stinkin ugly brown for 6 months! Plus I just think it’s so sad that kids just won't know what a true Idaho winter is all about. It's cold, windy, and cold! I know I said cold twice, but it is freaking cold during the winter! Come on who out there remembers standing, waiting for what seemed forever for that dumb school bus?!?! Praying that Z103.3 would say those magic words...."School closures for the area include...District 251...." before we had to wait for that dumb bus! Not so much anymore :(

Back in My day this is how it was....

3 comments:

Chana said...

Crazy, as cold as it gets in Idaho you guys deserve some nice powder to play in!

Melanie Fiuza said...

I completely agree only I grew up in Utah. We used to be able to build tunnels through our whole front yard. I'll admit we only had one snow day missing school which kind of sucked because we had to make it up on a Saturday. As much as I hate the snow, we need some now. Or just get warm!

Brittany said...

Lana! I had to freakin look at your blog to figure out who Chana was! hahahah love it.